Sunday, November 8, 2009

Life in Jordan :)

Hello all!

Sorry its been so long since I last wrote...not much internet access where I am at.

A lot has changed since my last post. After leaving Aman, our group stayed for a few days at a university in northern Jordan, taking language and culture classes to prepare us for meeting our families. During these first few days we had a good time meeting and getting to know each other better - basically, making the friendships that we'll hold dear for the next two years.

After a few days we moved into our homestays. I am living in a little village not far from the university. This village is unlike anywhere I had ever been...lots of space between one house and the next, goats and sheep at every turn, and an expansive desert horizon speckled with lights from more distant cities and villages.

The people in this village have been so welcoming. Never a day goes by that I am not visiting others for tea and lunch, or entertaining at my own home.

The food is great so far...definitely not hard to get used to, although I'm afraid I've already forgotten how to use a spoon :)My favorites so far are mansef (a rice dish with lamb and yogurt eaten with the hands), eggplant, and cucumber salads. Happily, I'm constantly offered sweet teas and nescafe, as I can't stop by to pick up a friend without being invited in.

Currently we are in the closest city to us. Usually we spend our mornings in a little school in our village taking arabic lessons, but today we came to help at a field day put on by a J-12 (Emily) for kids with special needs. It was great to get a glimpse of what work we will be doing here in Jordan, and the pizza eating and shopping we get to do now isn't bad either.

Anyways, lots to do at the moment. Hopefully I'll have internet connection soon enough!! Miss everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Steph! Thanks for checking in. Sounds like you are adjusting well, and that the people are friendly.

    Mom and I just got back from a few days in Big Sur at Treebones Resort, where they have 16 yurts and a lodge with a restaurant. It was very relaxing and serene.

    Not a minute goes by that you're not on my mind! Have youo read "Three Cups of Tea" yet? I read it up at Big Sur, and think you would like it.

    Love You!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete