Hey everyone. Just wanted to write an update about how things are going here in Jordan!
Our group, J-13, had our swearing-in ceremony on the morning of December 23rd at Al-Bayt University in Mafraq. We were lucky to have all of our host-families in attendance, as well as prominent local and university officials. After 2 months of PST anticipation, the day went unhitched, all of us eager to start our services as Peace Corps volunteers.
We spent Christmas day and the day after in Amman. On the morning of the 26th the Peace Corps organized a sports day, where many of us met up to run around and play soccer and ultimate Frisbee. Later in the day we attended a Christmas party hosted by the U.S. Embassy where we enjoyed the traditional holiday food we missed back home. The Embassy is a very impressive building in the city, and I felt very lucky to be invited to spend the evening there with my P.C. friends.
A few days later we moved to our permanent sites. Things are going great so far, and I've officially fallen in love with Mafraq, a charming city of a little over 50,000 people bordered by Syria to the North and about an hour's bus ride from Amman. Having spent two months training in a village just outside of the city, my transition has been a natural one. Although I've engaged some in my favorite pass-time here (aimlessly exploring new cities), my familiarity with Mafraq makes it easy to get back home after the end of a long day.
I've taken care of the business regarding moving in: buying home necessities, applying for a P.O. Box (I'll write it at the end of today's blog) and setting up internet in my apartment. Recently, I've been doing research regarding the structure of Special Education classrooms in the U.S. for supplementary knowledge, and it's been nice skyping friends, family, and Justin!
I observed at my center for two working weeks (Sunday through Thursday), and am currently on winter break from the merkez. During those two weeks I had a chance to get to know the teachers and students, and have been impressed with the passion of the teachers and the motivation of my mudeera. There are approximately thirty students at my center, three classes of special education, one autism class, and an art therapy class. There is also a physical therapy room where children, most with cerebral palsy, come for therapy sessions. I've been trying to learn new technical vocabulary and have been exchanging words with my mudeera everyday.
I'm constantly visiting: with the family downstairs, with teachers from my center, and with new friends in the city. Jordanian hospitality never ceases to amaze me. Always when I say my goodbyes (long after the American side of me says I'm overstaying my welcome) my hosts will undoubtedly beckon me to stay longer still, offering one last glass of tea or cup of coffee.
All in all, I love things here, and will keep you all posted on future news : )
Take care!
Stephanie
P.O. Box 155
Mafraq
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment