Hello everyone!
Sorry it's been so long since I last wrote (I know…it’s a pattern), but I don't have internet connection often and when I do I usually don't know where to begin.
We're nearing the end of our pre-service training, and things are going well. I'm feeling much more confident with my Arabic, and am trying (somewhat successfully) to use it as much as possible. Every time I enter a ducan (store) and do my shopping in Arabic the storekeepers tell me I speak well, but I'm not sure if that’s because it really is or they're surprised I'm speaking it at all!
I'm sad to be leaving my host family. They have been incredibly welcoming and helpful, and have introduced me to the zaki-ness (deliciousness that is) of Jordanian food (Magluba, Manself, and Kibsa have become my staples). I've had some great times at their home, and am lucky to have been with them for Iid, a Muslim holiday celebrating Allah sending Abraham a sheep to sacrifice instead of his oldest son. On this holiday, men from each family will sacrifice a sheep, and the whole three day holiday is filled with visits to friends and family (and drinking shai kathir (lots of tea) and enjoying heilu (chocolate)). Another great experience I've had with my family was visiting in the family bayt-shar (a large Bedouin tent made of goat-hair fabric). We sat around a fire inside, maybe 20 of us, drinking tea and coffee for hours; it was really one of those "Wow…I'm really in Jordan" moments.
During the past few weeks we had practicum, three weeks spent training in centers like the ones we will be working in. I trained in a center in Mafraq, putting together lessons for students and trying my best to teach them in Arabic. All in all things went well, and gave me the confidence to do it in my own center.
Speaking of which, I just returned from my site visit. I'll be working in Mafraq, the city we've been training in. We had a conference in Amman at which we met our mudeers/mudeeras and counterparts, and then we went to our respective cities to get a taste of what our lives will be like. I saw my apartment, and I'll just say that I am very lucky (its very specious and fully furnished already…I'll be quite comfortable for the next two years ). I'm living above my mudeera's family, and feel welcomed into the family already. My center is very nice as well. They recently had volunteers from World-Learning come for a beautification day at the center, and it's really a lovely working environment. I'm excited to continue my observations of the center, so I can see where my specific knowledge and experience will best fit in.
I'm sure there's more, but we're starting a session soon and I have to run. All in all, things are really wonderful! Inshala I'll get internet in my apartment and will be able to write more often!
Miss everyone!
Greetings from a J11! We're sad we weren't able to meet your group but it's good to see it looks like you're settling in fine. I think you're about to move out to your site, yes? All the best of luck and have a happy holiday season :-)
ReplyDelete-Neal
hi ,how are you ? just wanna say Merry Christmas :)
ReplyDeleterami
al-mafraq